Monday, September 1, 2008

The show

So my poor little Jensen Healey and I made it to the show. In the last mile there Both she and I started getting really hot. Phoenix gets warm quickly. Even at 7 am she was running hot. Now, mind you, she was running water only at this point as that's all I had on hand last night when I topped off the radiator. We arrived into the parking spot amidst a cloud of steam. Luckily I was there quite early so there were not many people on hand to see her steaming.

A couple folks who were there asked if everything was ok. All I had to say was "An English car overheating, that never happens!" A few laughs and chuckles later and all was ok. I'm afraid the old girl was rapidly upstaged. Minutes after I arrived a beautifully restored MGA pulled into the spot next to me. And then, 20 minutes later a factory 5 ac cobra kit parked on the other side. Talk about pair of beautiful cars creating a bologne sandwich with some "mystery meat" in the middle....

On the whole the old JH was well received, esecially once I explained that she was pre-restoration. Suprisingly enough I didn't hear any "what is it?" comments. The english car contingent was well versed, and the rest of the folks were too distracted by the AC Cobra beside me. Man, I wish the green JH was done.. it will look so pretty.

I hung out, got to talk to some nice folks and eat donuts. Since this was a "sports car" event there was a mixture of different English cars, a showing from the local Mazda group, some Corvettes, one '57 Chevy, and a smattering of really rare cars. I spent a while talking to the man who owned the '57 Chevy Bel Air. He was a really nice fellow and his car was beautiful. My favorite sightings at the show were an immaculate Sunbeam Tiger, a DeTomaso Pantera, a TR8, the '57 Chevy, a pair of gorgeous 50's Corvettes, and a Ferrari 400. All the cars there were noteworthy, I just specifically remember those specific vehicles. While there was a Sprite there, I didn't see any 3000's while I was there. I wish one had shown up.

On the way home I had to stop for gas & water to keep the old girl running. The closest place was the Danny's Family Carwash over near Highland and 24th street. While I planned on just dumping some water in the radiator to ensure I got home they wouldn't let me. A fellow from the shop came clear across the parking lot with a collant mixture to drop into the radiator. So kudos to them for keeping old cars on the road. If you're in the area, fill up there or get your car washed/detailed!

The ride home was "exciting" not because of spirited driving, but because I wasn't bright enough to put gas in the tank when I was at the gas station. With my fuel sender being questionable, all I know is that somewhere near 1/4 of a tank is really empty. I was vascillating back and forth around the 1/4 measure the whole ride home. The old girl got me off the highway and to a gas station before running out of gas. In the middle of the ride home I had a minor failure. As I was scooting down the 51 at ~70 miles per hour the driver's side rear view mirror went slack and turned from the wind. Before I could do anything I was was watching it disintegrate on the highway behind me as I sped ahead (using the central rear view mirror). The important thing to remember is that the parts falling off of this car are of the finest British manufacture. :)

All in all, a good day.