Sunday, September 21, 2008

Non-Car Weekend

So, This weekend was a non-car weekend. It's technically related to car stuff, but only tangentially. Back before I had the reconstructive surgery on my leg (last December) I decided to do one last big house project before I was put out of commission. That project was knocking down walls and completely re-doing the laundry room off the garage. We got the walls, plumbing, ceilings, and almost everything done before I had my surgery. The last bit was to put in a laundry sink (so that I may degrease before entering the main part of the house, and to tile the floor.

So, not really liking the granite, corian or formica options for a counter, I opted to dust off my woodworking skills and build a nice butcher block style counter with a laundry sink inset. So, Saturday was spent doing all of the cuts and assembling the counter top. This morning was spent adding wood filler (my skills are a little rusty) and doing final sanding. As of this point I've got it stained and just finished the second coat of polyurethane.

I've not done any woodworking in a while, it was a nice change of pace. Yes, it's very much the same sort of work as body work, but working with wood as a media is nice.