Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Leon Russell

So, I try to avoid non-car related posts as mucch as possible. It's just not right for a car blog to deviate too far. That being said, I was hitting reruns this evening and I ended up watching "House." It wasn't the episode that struck me so much as it was the fact that the soundtrack for the episode completed with an old Leon Russell song.

As far as I'm concerned, Leon Russel is a true American genius. I could spend hours talking about his time with Joe Cocker, the independent work and his asylum choir. But the reality is that he has had an incredible impact on modern music. I pined for my first love, "sitting on the highway in a broken van." VMM had to listen to this. But, I grew in those years, walking on the tight rope, talking with my cricket and the like. All these year I drove when I needed to think. Leon was with me when I drove. And I dated a detla lady and a queen of the rollerderby.

When I knew all was right was when I determined that my now wife is my hummingbird. Now, every time I have to talk in public I think of, "A song for you" and I picture my wonderful wife (aka SWMBO).

Hopefully you read this and dust off the Leon Russell vinyl. If you've never heard of him before, then buy Carney and not be affected. If you can listen to Carney and not feel anything I will buy your copy because you're not capable of understanding or understanding it.

For those being period specific, Carney was released in 1972. Leon's been releasing since 1996. His latest release is 2008.