Friday, September 26, 2008

Knight Rider remake

So I'm really not sure about this Night Rider remake. Mind you, I was a huge fan of the original series (as cheesy as it was). So, I watched it on it's initial release night and then rewatched it tonight on the Sci-Fi channel. After a second watch (this time with the wife providing her commentary as well) I've determined what it is that bothers me about the new series.


Kit's Voice

Yes, I understand that Val Kilmer is voicing the car, but it's flat and unemotional dialogue. Willaim Daniels (the original voice) just seemed to epitomize the K.I.T.T. car and really gave it personality.

The car transformations

So, in the original series when K.I.T.T. "transformed" it was all believable. It didn't look like a reject from the latest Transformers movie. These were the days before CGI. Watching a Mustang transform into the full blown K.I.T.T. mode and then into a Ford F150 is just too ridiculously out of the realm of the realistic. And what on earth are those three tubes on the hood of the car? Some wacky modernized version of the vestigal hood of the Mach 1?

Michael Knight

So, they totally changed the origin story. I can deal with that. But I've not seen acting leave that great a lack of impression like that since Sci-Fi channel redid Dune. Talk about flat and boring acting. Oh, and my wife says that his female counterpart had some serious "cutlets" (fake boob prosthetics) in her bra. So, his acting was as realistic as her breasts.



Now, I'll keep watching on the off chance that it improves. After the modern release of Battlestar Galactica (which is amazing, and I love it just as much as the original) you would think that these producers would realize that it's the *story* and the *acting* that make for great shows, not lots of CGI and women in their underwear (not that I'd ever really complain about hot women in their underwear on TV).

Here's to hoping it improves. I wonder what's coming next? A remake of Airwolf?