Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mid-summer working in the heat woes

So, it never seems that I successfully make it through the worst heat of the summer without having to do major/extensive surgery on one of the daily driver cars in the family. Today it was SWMBO's Toyota Corolla. I already knew it needed a new catalytic converter, and then last week three of the four interior door handles disintegrated, making those doors inoperable from the interior.

Then, the other day I made the mistake of driving it. The Struts front and back were totally worn out. She'd also mentioned to me that the brakes needed a little looking at.

So, picked up the door handles from a Toyota salvage yard on friday, and last night picked up the new struts for the front and back of the car. At the same time I ordered the catalytic converter (for delivery today). I got up extremely early to beat the heat this morning. Managed to get the door handles in with only one minor issue.

Then it was time to pull off the front tire and get into the struts. The first thing I noticed after pulling the tire was the grooves in the rotor and the almost lack of brake pads. Made a mental note to self to go pick up rotors and pads when I went to pick up the catalytic converter. Continued on with the struts. I don't know why, but I always have it in my head that the springs magically appear on the struts. I think it's due to being afraid of having a healthy respect for spring compressors. I don't like using them, but once I know I have to it's a long and slow process because I'm very careful when I use them.

Eventually the struts were done and installed, just in time to go out to the shop and pick up the catalytic converter, rotors and pads. Changing rotors and pads on the Toyota Corolla have to be the simplest process I've ever done for this. Had both sides of the car completely done in under 30 minutes. Finally, a bunch of elbow grease, dirt and minor pain and the catalytic converter was in place.

I was pretty burnt out at that point, and my wife's sister is bringing her car over for me to look at this evening, so I've opted to put off the rear struts until tomorrow morning.

Plus, the AC is fritzing on the explorer, so I get to fix that next. argh.