Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sitting in the garage

I'm sitting in the garage on a tuesday night. Been pulling apart Studebaker brakes all afternoon/evening and am getting tired of scraping road goo and standing in front of the sandblast cabinet.

Spent the weekend at Disneyland with the family. Got a couple fun pictures that I'll post later. Spent most of Monday recovering from the trip/drive. As much as I may like wandering and driving, my legs don't appreciate it as much as they used to.

Monday evening saw the fuel system go into the Jensen Healey project. Short of one last bolt it's all done and it's time to move on to the rear axle assembly. So, keep your eyes peeled for a new fuel system article on the JH.

I decided to go ahead on the Studebaker brakes while waiting for the new exhaust. Ordered the bits from Chuck over at StudebakerParts.com and they came within the next day (got to love the laziness of having things mailed to me from within my own city). So far most of my time has been spent scraping and sandblasting parts clean, as well as a little painting. I hate cleaning brake drums. It's not the pieces themselves so much as it is the rough surfaces they normally have from the casting process. Makes them so hard to get clean. The good is that the wheel cylinders presently do not look like they need honing, so as dirty as everything was, it was reasonably sound. That being said, the outer rubbers were trashed on both front wheels.

Tomorrow should see at least one wheel mountd back in place, with the possibility of two! The next bit is to bend and flare new front brake lines. Then it's off to the rear end, and finally the master cylinder. So, in theory, should I be diligent, sh should have working brakes (but no exhaust) by the weekend!

Cheers!
Jody