Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Garage consternation

So, I'm at one of those points that most restorers hit during their restorations. It's when you realize that at the rate you are presently moving, your grandchildren may be finishing your project... or in my case projects. I've got Edith Grove rocking on the ipod (if you've never heard of her, look her up online, local musician in Albequerque, and the music's great, plus, she drives an Edsel! A friend - Hey Shelley! - played a gig with her one night while I was out visiting. It's good stuff!)

Anyways, and in some fashion, it's indicative of the present state of the garage. The Austin Healey had the lights removed, but still sits there. The green Jensen Healey is waiting on fuel plumbing and me to figure out how to rebuild the sender. Finally, Annabelle, the Studebaker sits out in the driveway minus an exhaust manifold, carburetor and air filter. This doesn't even account for my blue Jensen Healey. I tried to chang the oil on it today only to realize the last person who changed the oil bunged up the bolt so badly I can't get it out of the car to drain the oil.

So in other words, I wish I was doing this stuff full time instad of working, being a husband, and being a father. Don't get me wrong. A smiling, giggling son beats a rear end rebuild any day of the week, and I guess this is why most of the active folks in the car hobby are either family hobbyists, young, or retired. Families take precendence, and If I want him to be into cars, I need to be with him first, and the cars second. The same goes for my daughter.

At any rate, back to the state of my garage. My trip down to Tucson this weeknd past shamed me. And only in a way that meant anything to me. There was only one Jensen Healey in attendance. There should have been two. Now, it was great to see one there, and I'll not diminish the fact that Dale drove out from New Mexico to attend. This is all annoyance at myself for not getting things done.

So, the end state of this, is that come hell or high-water I'm going to Jensen Nationals west in a Jensen Healey this year. I don't car if I have to hobble the old blue girl in, we'll be there. Now, my target is to get the green JH finished. So, watch for more Jensen related posts/articles in the near future... and if I slow down, then bug me, I've got to get her done!

Jody