Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sandblasting and Differential restoration tip.

When I restore the read-end, or axle and differential assembly, I always prefer to manage the sandblasting and painting in two stages. You always have to be extremely careful about getting media inside of parts that will eventually be full of oil and moving parts.

Before I tear into the differential I go ahead and sandblast the entire unit in an assembled form. This allows for cleanup of 95% of the unit without the fear of getting media inside where it can damage things.



In the photo above you can see the rear axle and differential from my Jensen Healey project. I've completely sandblasted the unit in assembled form. Next it'll go back into the garage to be painted. I paint everything but the differential cover and he edge where the cover matches up with the differential. These final bits can have a final cleaning and paint during the disassembly phase.

Cheers!
Jody