Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Triumph Spitfire Carburetor - eesh...

So I started the latest round with the carburetor this evening. Headed over to Mum's with a spare carb, tools, and determination. Got down there, did some mixing and matching of parts, tweaked a bunch of settings on the carb, and got her running properly!

Made it around the block just fine, then drove Mum around the block. All excited we got ready to head off to the DMV to get the emissions test. As I wen to pull the car out to go to Emissions it just died. Dead as a doornail!

WE pushed it back into the garage, and I set back to work fiddling with the carb and timing. I'd get it running, then hop in to drive it and it would die. Finally, I noticed as I was watching the carb and mum was hitting the accelerator pedal that there wasn't any fuel coming into the carb. Disconnected the fuel line, turned it over a few times, and no gasoline. Now I'd already replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump earlier, and figured that there was something in the lines or tank that was plugging the fuel system.

Got down to trace my way back through the entire system, and lo and behold, what do I find? A *second* fuel filter installed in a hard to see location. And the best part, this fuel filter was installed *backwards*!

Slapped a new fuel filter in place and in the correct orientation.....
Sucked a bunch of the air out of the fuel line to prime it with gasoline....
Got in, turned the key, waited a moment and VROOOOOM~!

Decided to see if it had power, so threw it into first, stomped on the accelerator and left rubber in the garage.

So tomorrow, it's time to retune everything and take it through emissions!