Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Getting ready for garage improvements

So, a lot of you will think I'm nuts, but considering it's 5 am and I'm sweating before the sun comes up, believe me I need AC in the garage. For the next week all my car projects are temporarily put on hold as I do some improvements to the garage, most notably will be the gattling-gun style overkill air conditioning unit.
I picked it up from Home Depot last night, got it home, and attempted to put it into the garage only to discover that I couldn't fit the box in the room. On top of the standard junk, the family junk, and the two cars, I'd forgotten about the Studebaker brakes spread out on one half of the workbench, and the Triumph Spitfire carburetor and master cylinder on the other half! Add that to a full Jensen Healey 5 speed rear end under foot and the random goodies I'd stockpiled since the last good garage clean, and it's just a nightmare out there.
So far, a good hour's worth of sorting and shifting and I can move around again, another hour or so, and I should be able to roll the Jensen Healey out of the garage, shift the Austing Healey 3000 over to it's spot, and then I can access the wall, once I move the rolling shelving. eesh.
From there, it'll be cutting a hole in the wall and reinforcing it, adding a 220V circuit (which I've been wanting out there anyways, - note to self, should probably put an extension electrical box on sometime soon I'm out of circuits for a big compressor) plugging the AC in, and then I'll be able to store sides of beef in there while working on cars. :)
I can't wait for my garage to be cold!
Jody