Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Triumphant Weekend (sort of)

So we had a quiet weekend in town this weekend. This means a birthday party on Saturday (which I'll get to later).

Since mum handed me the Spitfire and I had boxes of parts, it was time to start working on the "Artful Dodger" as it's been named of late. New trunnions, ball joints, sway bar end joints, and front shock absorbers later (it took all day saturday to do this) the car is driving much better now. You'd almost swear it was a different vehicle!

After all that munging, and a repeated lesson (I've learned this one before, but, you, my readers may not have) in why professionals handle coil shock combinations it's 10 times closer to roadworthiness. Today I got a new spedometer cable installed (I can sort of tell how fast we're going now) as well as the rear shocks.

This is all well and good until Mum sowed up with the emissions information (the car had failed). I took a good look and discovered that the wrong distributor is installed, the coil is original, and well, from there it goes sort of downhill. None of this is really a big deal, it's more just a matter of LBC driving.

So, while I'm continuing to fiddle with suspension bits I'll figure out the ignition bits and we'll be formally on the road with this car.

I hope everyone had a good weekend in the garage as I did! Articles on the Triumph Spitfire will appear in the next week.

Cheers!
Jody