Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Garage Vacation: Day 2 & 3 update

Yesterday night was spent doing a number of things. For starters, after having removed and replaced the spring caps (coil top) on the spitfire numerous times the dirt and grime on them finally got to me, so into the sandblaster they went! All cleaned up with a coat of POR-15 and they looked much better.

While I was out there I managed to get one side of the rear brakes assembled for the Jensen Healey. I need a couple more bits to do the other side (washers and circlips from Ace).

My buddy Chip came over and we put some new pads in the front of his contour. The transfer went well, but there was a very spongy pedal afterwards. Now the problem in bleeding his brakes was that the bleed screw on the passenger side was busted. So, that's all she wrote on work that night.

Today was spent finding a shop that could deal with the Triumph springs. I finally ended up at the MG Shop in Tempe, AZ. They'll be setting the springs for me tomorrow and I should have them back into the car tomorrow night.

A friend was having problems with her Saturn Vue. All I can say is bloody GM engineers need to be shot, repeatedly! The car needed some goofy ignition switch which was an annoyance to remove, but fairly easy to install the new part. The challenge, however, was the built in car anti-theft. To reset the GM anti theft you have to attempt to start the car, and leave the key in the on position. Then you wait 10 minutes until the security idiot light goes out. Once it does you remove the key and repeat. You have to do this a minimum of three times, possibly four. The fun part, if you don't get it started immediately then it faults again and you have to start over. Well, I guess it works, because I will never steal a Saturn. It's not worth the effort!

With that resolved we opted (Chip and I) to try and get the remains of the broken bleed screw removed from the caliper. 3 hours and a number of broken bits, ez-outs and the like later we finally opted to go buy a new caliper. Chip just got back to the shop after hitting autozone, so it's time to go back out and get the caliper installed.

eesh, one step forwards, two steps back!

Jody